Our beautiful "Franconian Switzerland" offers a wealth of leisure time activities: arts, culture, sport - you name it, we've got it. Of course we will help you to turn your vacation into an unforgettable experience. Vacation planning is part of our service!
We apologize that most overviews and descriptions are only available in German language.
- The "Franconian Switzerland" is a hiker's paradise, with lots of signposted hiking trails, both for families with children and the more ambitiuos hiker.
- Cave Excursions
- The "Franconian Switzerland" is located in the "Frankenalb", a far-reaching karst area with numerous dripstone-caves. Quite a lot of them are show caves, open to the public the whole year through.
[List of Caves]
- Riding Bicycle
- The well-developed biycle trails of our region are suited for families and sportsmen alike. Despite of the "hilly" nature of the "Franconian Switzerland", you will find a lot of family-friendly level trails along the rivers. Advanced mountain-bikers will love our steep hills, though ...
- Along the Wiesent river you can rent boats at many places and enjoy the beautiful landscape with a view from the river. The renting place at the "Stempfermühle" (a former mill) between Muggendorf and Behringersmühle offers a broad selection of rowboat, pedal boats and canoes. Rowboats can also be rented at the open air bath in Streitberg.
- Canoe and Kayak
- The Wiesent river is the only river where canoeing/kayaking is allowed. This "whitewater" with a length of about 28 Km is not a demanding one (whitewater classification WW I - II) and is idealy suited for the beginner. Rare plants, a rich bird population and the inherent natural beauty of the Wiesent valley offer a singular experience.
- The "Franconian Switzerland" is one of the top climbing areas of Germany. Conservationists and tourist offices work hand in hand to develop the region for climbers - "Green Tourism" at its best.
- Soaring and Gliding
- A beautiful landscape like the "Franconian Switzerland offers unique views from aloft. You find several small airports and starting places throughout the region.
- Experienced riders and novices will find many tours to suit their level.
- The spacious tennis court of the TSV Ebermannstadt with nine sand places is open for tourists.
- Only a few kilometers away you find two beautiful golf courses: the Golfclub Franconian Switzerland in Kanndorf near Ebermannstadt and the Golfclub Pottenstein-Weidenloh.
- Miniature Golf
- For the more playful visitors, there are a lot of mini-golf places as well.
- Well, not exactly "bowling" ... "kegeln" is a little bit different, but you will like it as well!
- Open Air Baths / Indoor Baths
- Bathing places abound. The die-hards will just jump into the Wiesent river ... all others might prefer an open air or indoor bath. A real treat is the newly-opened Felsenbad Pottenstein, a spectacular natural-type bath beneath a sheer rocky cliff.
- Fun & Health: Thermae Obernsees
- The most attractive indoor bath in our area, offering hot pools, steam bath, sauna, water slide ... fun for the whole faily. Thermae Obernsees Homepage
- Game Reserve
- The Hundshaupten game reserve is *the* attraction for children who ever wanted to face wisents, fallow deer, chamois, wild boars and lots of other deer in a natural environment.
- Amusement Parks
- Fun for the whole family? Visit one ouf our theme parks.
- All-Season Toboggan Run
- In direct vicinity of Pottenstein's open air bath. New feature: the all-weather toboggan run "Frankenbob".
- Right here in Muggendorf you can visit the model train museum. Almost every village and town has a museum of local history. Most famous: the Fränkische-Schweiz-Museum in Tüchersfeld and the brand-new Pfalzmuseum in Forchheim.
- Skating and Skiing (winter only)
- We have a lot of small mountains and hills with a number of ski-lifts and cross-country ski runs, all more or less family-oriented.
- Whether you are interested in the Wagner-Festival in Bayreuth, classical music in Schloss Hundshaupten, traditional brass music at a country fair or one of our numerous open air rock concerts - you can chose from a well-filled cultural calendar throughout the year..